Politics

APC Reps Primary Crisis Deepens in Kwara as Five Aspirants Reject Exercise

 

 

Fresh controversy has erupted within the Kwara State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following the rejection of the party’s House of Representatives primary for the Ifelodun/Offa/Oyun Federal Constituency by five aspirants who described the exercise as a violation of democratic principles.

The aggrieved aspirants accused some party officials of allegedly orchestrating what they termed a flawed and unacceptable process during the primary conducted on Saturday, insisting that no credible election took place across the constituency.

Addressing journalists during a joint press conference on Wednesday, the aspirants maintained that the exercise was marred by irregularities, confusion and protests in several wards, while warning party members and the public against recognising results circulating on social media.

They argued that only the national leadership of the APC possesses the authority to announce authentic results of the exercise.

According to them, “some unscrupulous elements are spreading fake news by giving results and scores to some aspirants. That is laughable in our great party.”

The aspirants disclosed that petitions had already been forwarded to the APC Appeal Committee, the National Working Committee (NWC) and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for intervention and redress.

One of the aspirants, Ademola Adebayo Samad from Ifelodun-Ora, said their concern was not necessarily about who eventually emerges as candidate, but about protecting internal democracy within the party.

“The reason why we are here this afternoon is to appeal to our great party, the APC, and the NWC over the conduct of the House of Representatives primary election that took place on May 16,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter who could have won, our major concern is the democratic process. Across the Ifelodun/Offa/Oyun Federal Constituency, no election took place. There were irregularities across board and protests in several places.”

Samad appealed to the APC leadership in Abuja, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq and other party stakeholders to investigate the conduct of officials involved in the exercise.

He added that the aspirants were open to any lawful option adopted by the party, including a rerun election or consensus arrangement, provided due process was followed.

“If the party wants to redo the election, we are ready. If they want to go by consensus, there are laid down principles and guidelines to follow,” he stated.

Another aspirant, Akeem Ishola Balogun from Oja Ward II in Igbaja, faulted what he described as an imposed consensus arrangement, insisting that genuine consensus must involve consultations with all aspirants and stakeholders.

“The issue is not about whether the seat is meant for one person or not. If the process had followed the rules and regulations laid down by the party, nobody would have complained,” Balogun said.

“I have been with our president for many years and this has never been his style of leadership. If there is going to be a consensus, everybody must be invited and carried along. But in this case, we were made to feel like we were nobody.”

Also speaking, Dauda Olumuyiwa Patrick from Oro-Ago Ward alleged that no election was conducted in any of the 41 wards in the constituency, claiming that supporters who arrived to vote were left stranded due to the absence of electoral materials.

He further alleged that one of his coordinators in Offa was attacked for protesting against the situation.

Another aspirant, Bello Ademola Joseph from Omupo Ward, expressed hope that President Tinubu, the APC leadership and Governor AbdulRazaq would intervene to address what he termed a disregard for democratic values.

Similarly, Ayodele Theophillus Apere from Shaare Ward I lamented that neither direct primary nor consensus option approved by the party was properly implemented during the exercise.

“We are not pleased with the last Saturday primary. We observed neither of the two options given by the party was adhered to,” Apere said.

“We were directed to choose either direct or consensus, alas! in Kwara, we neither applied any but crook means by denying due electoral processes.”

The dispute is expected to intensify political tension within the APC in Kwara State as the party gradually begins preparations towards the 2027 general elections.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.