General News

Victim Narrates Experience Before Troops Secure Abuja-Kaduna Train Trapped by Bandits

An Abuja – Kaduna bound train was attacked with explosive by terrorists on Monday, with a survivor narrating his terrible experience in the hands of the hoodlums.

According to him, We boarded the 6:27 train to Kaduna the journey was very typical and uneventful until roughly 25 minutes from Kaduna.

“We heard a bang and the coach started wobbling. I realized that our coach had derailed and it started leaning to one side; fortunately the train came safely to a halt and then we started hearing gunfire. We all dropped to the floor.

“I heard muffled voices with Fulani accents from outside the train, they eventually forced their way into the train screaming in what sounded like Arabic and went to the coach behind ours.

“They let out some shots which we later learnt killed a passenger rattling them and causing them to leave the train with many passengers from that coach. They continued shooting until they left us.

“In the meantime, the police escorts rallied together and resisted the onslaught. They exchanged gunfire for so long after the attack. We remained on board the train in the dark and in silence until soldiers came and announced their arrival.

“They secured the train, removed the injured and some of the dead out of the train. We were told by the security details that many coaches had gone of the track and so the train wouldn’t be able to move further.

“On getting out I observed that there were steep escarpments on either side of the train. The military helped us all up the steep slope and got us to sit in the ground at the top.

“A Brigadier-General whose name I didn’t catch addressed us, saying that vehicles were on their way to pick us up.

“However, we were going to have to walk to where it would be easier for the vehicles to maneuver due to the poor state of the tracks to our point of rescue.

“We then walked to the Kaduna-Abuja road what we were immediately loaded onto busses and brought to Kaduna. In my case we were dropped off at Leventis flyover at roughly 1:45 am.

“We’re grateful to God for the deliverance from injury, being kidnapped and death.

“Our hearts bleed for those that died in this incidence; it could have happened to any one of us. Let’s pray for those they left behind and that this dangerous security situation would be brought under control as soon as possible.”